Sunday, July 22, 2018

Inspired:Intro


Hey Brian, I finished the “Inspired” intro, and here are a few of my thoughts:
·         Early thoughts/feelings about the Bible, for me, are nonexistent. My Roman Catholic (RC) upbringing was more indoctrination than discovery or exploration. We were taught to never question, just obey. It wasn’t until I met Martha and heard about God’s grace that I began to explore God’s Word for myself. In the early-mid 80s, I went to a Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) class, my first Bible study. It changed my life and how I encounter God. And over the next 35 years, my idea about what the Bible is and what it means for us, has evolved.
·         Rachel Held Evans (RHE) asks, “What was your favorite Bible story as a child, and how do you read it now as an adult?”  For me, I guess it was Noah’s Ark. Obviously it was a miracle how God saved all the animals. How could they all fit on the boat and survive (not eat each other)? Well, now I look at it as a metaphorical story, that God will go to any length to protect His creation. Also, as kids there was never any talk of “How could a good God commit genocide on the world’s population (except Noah and family)?”
·         One of the most confusing things of the Bible is the post-Eden populating of the earth. Adam and Eve had Cain, Abel, and (later) Seth. After Cain murdered Abel, he was cast out of God’s presence. And settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden. Well, where did Cain’s wife come from? Did God ‘start’ a whole different family tree outside of Eden that was populating Nod? Cain’s wife, and therefore the people of Nod, just show up!
·         If I was to describe the Bible in the 1980s, I would say it was inspired, inerrant, infallible, trustworthy, authoritative, and sacred. Today I would say it is inspired, trustworthy, and sacred. I believe God “breathed” His story into many authors over many millennia. Not every bit is fact, but in some mysterious way, every bit is true. And because God Himself inspired it, at some level the Bible is sacred; and it is therefore trustworthy as a revelation of God’s character and plan.
·         I was attracted to BSF to help me understand the Bible better. Reading the Bible straight through (GEN – REV) was a bit of a slog the first time, but I persevered. Like RHE, I discovered my “life verse”. It literally jumped of the page when I read it. “For to the one who pleases him, God has given wisdom and knowledge and joy…” Ecclesiastes 2:26a. Also. Matthew (MT) was my first BSF study, and MT 5:17 rebuked my notion of believing only the New Testament (NT), when Jesus said, “I have come to fulfill the Law and the Prophets…” i.e. the OT and all it’s confusing bits.
·         RHE encourages us to write our own Bible story, so here goes.  “Once upon a time there was a boy who, for decades, was told there was only one way, one story to believe. Then he met a girl who believed in God’s grace which he had never heard of. This was a much better story, so he started to follow that story. It changed his life in profound ways, and made him a more compassionate and loving follower of Jesus. He now knows it is OK to not have all the answers; questions and doubts are permitted. He is eternally grateful to live in grace, and do what he can to move God’s story forward.”

3 comments:

  1. Instead of posting something very similar, I decided to just sum up what is different. It is so funny to read your responses. For example, what I remember about the Bible growing up was fear. Not because my parents made me feel that way but because of how the Catholic faith tells you to be.

    Noah's Ark is the story that stuck with me growing up too. I think because it was easy to like the animals without getting to deep into the story.

    My confusion with the bible was frequent because it felt like stories were being twisted in ways to tell a story that didn't feel like were there.

    Also, your Bible story and my Bible story would be very similar. It is grace that drives so much for me these days. That concept is so important to me and the main factor keeping my faith alive.

    I appreciate Rachel's honesty too. I believe, from the introduction, that I am going to enjoy her perspective.

    Were you and I differ are the words. Growing up, I would say the words Oppressive, Inerrant and Outdated would be what I would use. Today, Inspired and Sacred would be the ones I'd most use. I agree with Rachel's perspective on what the Bible is (a guide of sorts) and that it is always evolving as to how it affects you instead of something you should try to execute word for word. If you try to do that, unless you are blinded to it in some way or another, it will let you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I look at your words again, they are definitely closer than what I was thinking they were...especially now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian, great comments. Also, to clarify, I too felt oppressed, but it was the Catholic Church, not the Bible. I don't recall ever seeing a bible at school or church growing up. We had the huge family Bible at home that no one ever looked at. Looking forward to more discussion as we dig deeper into Inspired.

    ReplyDelete