Sunday, September 16, 2018

Inspired: Epilogue: And then....

1) For me, it isn't one story but one genre. Wisdom literature has always been confusing and contradictory for me. But RHE's words really cleared things up for me. "Wisdom, it seems, is situational. It isn't just about knowing what to say; it's about knowing when to say it. And it isn't just about knowing what is true; it's about knowing when it's true.... While we may wish for a clear, [lucid] text, that's not what God gave us. Instead, God gave us a cacophony of voices and perspectives, all in conversation with one another, representing the breadth and depth of the human experience in all its complexities and contradictions." "Wrestling" with the Bible is a lifelong adventure, and just when you think you have a "good grasp" on something, it "slips" away. But the only worthwhile endeavor in this life is to "stay in the ring." The Bible, like life itself, isn't easy, but if we keep our eyes on the prize (serving God and his creation now, and eternal life with him later), we will reap untold blessings, living in and dispensing his grace to everyone and everything, everywhere.
1) RHE said it best: "So perhaps a better question then "Do I believe in miracles?" is "Am I living like I do?" Am I touching the untouchables in my culture: homeless, sick, gay/lesbian, stranger/alien, etc.?" "Am I behaving as though life is more than a meaningless, chaotic mess, that there is some order in the storm?" Am I working to make a "community spacious enough for everyone?"
2) "Make America Great Again" has been a rallying cry for Trump and his supporters. I find it a vile and loathsome excuse to turn our backs on the world, jeopardizing decades-long alliances and treaties that have maintained most of our economic. political, and military stability, let alone peace. This isolationism is very dangerous and shortsighted, but worse, it's selfish and self-serving.
3) For me, it isn't just one or two stories, it is the belief that all of our individual stories are linked to the biggest and grandest story of all: God's loving redemptive work in the world. "God is like Jesus" and his life, death, and resurrection is the foundation of our story, and the fulcrum of history. And it's not that hard to "take up our cross" and follow him. To paraphrase Henry Blackaby: "Don't worry about discovering God's perfect will for your life. Just look at where God is already working, and join him." In the Bible, God is saying. "Let me tell you a story." Our privilege is to listen and join our story with his, living a life of temporal and eternal significance and purpose. Oh, and, of course, joy.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jeff. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in volunteering in ministry service. I have enjoyed your blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. WE reach out to the poorest of poor with with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I AM sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete