Friday, September 7, 2018

Inspired: Gospel Stories

3) Being raised RC, my first encounter with Jesus, that I remember, was First Communion. I think it was the first time I wore a tie (I was 7 years old). I recall it being very serious and somber. There was no joy during the service, only afterwards when we celebrated (special meal at Granny's?). The "good news", as I recall, was all about the sacraments, what we had to do to get, and stay, right with God. There was a continued focus on sin and confession. There was duty and fear of mortal sin. It wasn't until many years later, when I heard that I am "saved by grace through faith" that I actually felt Jesus was "good news".
4) Again, being raised RC, I had to act like a Christian. I followed the rules, went to church, confession, etc. But it was external duty, a lifestyle, not an internal change. I believed what my church told me to believe, and what my parents and family believed. I am a Christian now because I believe that Jesus is the Son of God. His story is true, and the only one worth following and sacrificing for. To live as a Christian is the best way to experience life now on earth, and have peace of mind, knowing that life eternal is waiting.
5) I remember 30 years ago being caught up in the whole "Left Behind" mania. I devoured every book. But focusing on the Rapture encouraged people to only worry about "being saved", and then waiting to "escape to heaven" because Jesus paid the price for our sins. Now I believe the Christian life is not about getting to heaven, but bringing heaven to earth. Jesus brought heaven to earth 2000 years ago. We are living in his new world order, and we are to do all we can to advance his kingdom. We are NOT being saved for a later "heaven".  We are here NOW to show Christ's love, forgiveness, compassion and reconciliation to all of his creation. 
1) My two favorite stories/parables are the Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son. The first is an example of God's radical compassion,and how we are to demonstrate it to all people; there are no cultural/religious "walls" that can block God's love. The second is God's radical forgiveness. Even when we do all we can to spit in God's face, he is always seeking us out, "running" to take us back. He won't abandon us. His arms are always opened wide, ready to receive us when we come to our senses and return to him. I have felt this in my own life.
2) For me, "the gospel" is the story of God reaching down to humans. There is a "More". an "I AM" who created all there is, seen and unseen. Many years ago, after humans spent millennia trying, God became human to show us how to be a human who wants to walk with God. The larger story is God's relationship with his creation. But we each have our smaller story of our relationship with God and his creation that fits into the larger story like a mosaic.
3) The gospel, the "good news" story of God and his creation, is too large, too complicated, too messy, and too beautiful to be reduced into one statement. It not only limits God, but it also limits us. God is very interested in the details of all of our lives (the lost sheep, coin, son), so we need a very large story to contain all our individual smaller stories.
4) "I know that Messiah is coming..."   "I who speak to you am He" (John 4:25-26)
"One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see..." (John 9:25)
"I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:37)
I think all three would say that Jesus revealed himself as Messiah. But the Samaritan woman, ostracized from the Jews and maybe her village, would find forgiveness and new inclusion in her community. The blind beggar, excluded from participating in normal life, would receive physical healing (restoration of sight) and new inclusion in his community. The Ethiopian, a Gentile, would receive spiritual enlightenment and the foundation for beginning a new community of faith in his homeland. All were considered "outsiders" until they met Jesus.
5) Being raised RC, my faith was the church's faith and my family's faith. It was more cultural than spiritual. It wasn't until Martha, Chistus Victor, and BSF, that I finally "met" Jesus and his message of grace. The scales dropped from my eyes the first time I read the Bible and attended bible study (BSF). At first I was more conservative and more concerned with my salvation and sanctification. But over time I have come to believe and trust that Jesus is "the Way, and the Truth, and the Life" (John 14:6), though he is not limited to revealing this in an exclusively Christian way. Also, Jesus' life, death, and resurrection is the fulcrum of history. His kingdom began 2000 years ago, and we are his "soldiers", tasked with advancing his agenda of love, peace, forgiveness, grace, and reconciliation to all peoples in all places at all times. This is not only "good news"; it is the BEST news.

1 comment:

  1. 3. Unfortunately, I don’t recall my first encounter with Jesus. The first time I remember trying to understand the meaning of life from a religious perspective…keep in mind as deep as a seven year old can get…was seeing my dad cry for the first time because his dad had died. I didn’t understand why Jesus would let something like that happen to my grandpa. Obviously, I didn’t have the wisdom/perspective to see any of that encounter as good news.

    4. I know Evans is looking for a profound answer here but simply put I believe the story of Jesus. I am grossly simplifying things here but anything beyond that are just details, right?

    5. It means everything. I know why he died is very important but for me the way he lived has far more impact. I am grateful for all of the stories about that. But, I love your analogy about bringing heaven to earth. Well said.

    1. No one story pulls at my heart strings significantly more than others. However, the overall story of Matthew and his subsequent gospel stories I have always focused more on because of where Matthew came from and because he happened to share the same name as my brother. Funny, I know. Since then, primarily because of Pastor Deb, I have really enjoyed and appreciated the works tied to Paul. I know he is not considered a gospel but I wanted to mention that before we run out of time going through this book.

    2. I think the gospels to me follow our path. I primarily see them as the building blocks for the relationship between God and humans because of Jesus.

    3. I agree with you. It is another place where it is pointless to try and answer in a different why because I feel you’ve said it better than I would be able to already. 

    4. All three stories are about building the relationship I’ve already discussed through word…or better yet, though people…and bringing those people from the outside in.

    5. I was raised to believe in Jesus. Whether I believe in Catholic tactics or not it is irrelevant to my story. The fact is that I have never wavered on that belief. I have questioned my role in it all, but I have never lost my faith during the process. I do believe it is good news as well. Through all the bumps of life, the beauty and positive presence of God far outweigh them.

    ReplyDelete